Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Zola set to be handed West Ham job

Following my plea to Slaven Bilic to turn down the chance of becoming West Ham boss, I feel I must urge former Celtic star Gianfranco Zola to do the same.

Zola now the clear odds-on favourite to replace Alan Curbishley after fellow Italian Roberton Donadoni removed himself from the shortlist of candidates. Zola is currently the assistant coach of Italy's Under-21 side.

In a statement, Donadoni said: "I would like to thank West Ham United Football Club for approaching and speaking with me in relation to the vacant manager's position at the club.

''I welcomed the opportunity of speaking with such a prominent Premiership club and of course, the opportunity of coming to the English Premiership.

''However, is does appear that the board have not yet, after some time, come to an agreement and a conclusion on who the successful candidate should be.

''It is important for me to feel that I have the full support of the club and I have therefore this morning taken the decision to withdraw myself from the candidate shortlist for the club.''

Latest selected odds

Gianfranco Zola: 1/8
Roberto Donadoni: 6/1
Slaven Bilic: 7/1
Roberto Mancini: 33/1
Paolo Di Canio: 50/1

So why shouldn't Zola take the job? For all the same reasons Bilic shouldn't. West Ham are in a mess, Zola has everything to lose at this stage (ie the start) of his managerial career in terms of reputation, and anybody outside the English game should think hard before entering it because of massive investment-related death it is heading towards.

My messaage to anyone involved in football outside of England right now? Stay away, consider us quarantined for the sake of your own careers.

0 comments: